Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Waiting to see when you'll let me down*

Ah, I do love me a busy social calendar.

Last-last weekend's activities began Friday night: swimming with A, and then an excellent curry dinner prepared by M and had with a pretty nice bottle of wine. M has these two absolutely adorable cats - so not like the Lenny's - that made me remember that I do in fact like cats. M also made me try some Grand Marnier which was actually really good. I ate and drank entirely too much, and stayed up entirely too late, but sometimes that's just the thing to do.

Saturday began with getting up entirely too early to go with el señor B and parents to my first ever cyclocross race. It was el señor's first also, but whereas I was merely observing, he was actually racing. The morning quickly devolved into a clusterfuck, but that's el señor B's tale to tell, and anyway I had fun. Then I left so that I could meet up with J the V to go to my first ever soccer game. We biked from my house over to Warner Park and what I was told is a crappy fútbol field. As we approached many dozens of mens with enormous thighs, an uncharacteristic shyness set in. So I mostly just watched the game by my lonesome, except when J the V butted heads - literally - with another player, resulting in a big nasty bump on his forehead for which he sat out about a quarter of the game. I kind of get fútbol now, and I'm told that they won. We rode over to Angkor Market, where they sell the universe's best mung bean sprouts ever. Got some of those and ingredients for another coconut curry. Mmmmmm...curry.

After dinner, J the V had a tattoo appointment. Now. I neglected to mention that on the bike ride to fútbol, I offered to attend said appointment as moral support, as repayment for a similar favor. But being that I'm a needle-phobe, I was crossing my fingers and hoping for a reply of "Oh hey, no thanks". So I could only wince and wish to kick myself when instead something along the lines of "Yeah, that'd be awesome" hit my ears. Doh. I'm not sure who was more nervous but my money is on me. But then here's the cool part: it's not nearly as bad watching someone else get a tattoo as it is getting one yourself. It doesn't even look like a needle, and of course it doesn't hurt (the watcher). J the V took his tattoo way more in stride than I ever do. Other than an occasional furrowed brow (which earned him a pat of empathy on the shin), you'd have thought he was playing checkers (I, on the other hand, yell and swear throughout and generally end up with my head between my knees at least once). The tattoo, done by Brian at Cap City, is gorgeous and it's inspired me to actually get around to designing my next one and hopefully to making an appointment soon.

Sunday I had breakfast with parents - twice! First was biscuits and sawmill gravy at Cracker Barrel with el señor B's folks and then a bloody mary at the Glass Nickel with my roomie D's paterfamilias. Then tried out my new bikini at one of the grosser hotel hot-tubs I've had the dubious honor of sitting in. I like the bikini, though. Ummmm...oh yeah, then I went climbing at the gym and I think that more or less rounds out last-last weekend.

Onto last weekend, then. Friday night el señor B biked over with E and we ordered delivery Tex-mex and drank wine, sitting with roomie D, J and R. B, E, R and I went on a leisurely bike ride to the lake and sat and sipped whiskey and apple cider on a dock in the dark. Then we played on some crazy playground with spinny things and climby things and there was some near-puking, I'm pretty sure. It was a beautiful, if slightly chilly, night.

Saturday a whole big bunch of people went to the Eplegaarden and we picked a bajillion apples. It was sunny and warm and all-around beautiful. That evening the T-man made it to town, visiting from Houston, and he and I and my friend L-bot, a short-term transplant here, went out to eat. Next we made our way to the roller derby (hellz yeah) and then to a show at the Union. Not so keen on the first band, but Meneguar and Defiance, Ohio were pretty good. Drank perhaps a teensy bit too much beer with T-man and L-bot, but we had a great time catching up and taking pictures and such.

Sunday morning the three of us went out for breakfast and I got BACON PANCAKES OH MY GOD. T-man and I went bouldering at the Dodge, where I once again managed to scare myself shitless. Another pretty day though, and I did not leave the crag ashamed of my efforts. We went to dinner (again. You know how it is when company is in town) with el señor and E. Actually that weekend has kind of rolled on into this week because T-man is still in town and wants to, ya know, do stuff. I know this coming weekend will be pretty nuts with Halloween festivities and all, so I'm trying to keep at least Friday free and clear to just plain chill out, although I'm already planning to be sewing costumes with B and A.

I should become a hermit, at least for a little while.

I also promise to post pics from last weekend soon. Didn't quite manage to pull out the ol' digital camera last-last weekend.

* "Ride" - Jen Wood

1 comment:

amy said...

Really? The roller derby? I have to make it to Madison:)