Musical evidence that the unanticipated shouldn't be the undesired:
Roots Manuva "Run come save me" - I was first introduced to Roots Manuva shortly after its debut in 2001 via a video for "Witness (One Hope)" on some
random DVD from some
random zine that my then-partner picked up (
randomly). I loved the song, the video is heelarious and it plus various other tracks on the DVD (Select #5) became part of the Thanksgiving tradition now running 7 years strong with S, J & K, B and el seƱor B. J and I are the only two original playas left, incidentally. The first time I perused through J the V's music collection, roughly 5 years later, he
by chance came across and suggested I try the full album. Borrowed it. Loved it. My favorite track is "Join the Dots" f. Chali 2na of J5 'cause the beats is bumpin' and Mr. 2na's voice makes me wanna do it. The music is dub/dancehall reminiscent hip-hop with some pretty complex rhythmic themes, and Roots' British accent adds an interesting flavor to the mix. Non-American rappers always sound a little weird to me - ever heard Turkish-German rap? - crazy. I just borrowed the dub remix of this album (Dub come save me) and haven't had much of a chance to listen yet, but what I've heard so far is promising. [Later: All four sides of this album are excellent. Good dinner party music.]
Sin Ropas "Trickboxes on the pony line" - I
haphazardly picked this album out of the rock box at WSUM in 2003 to review because it was in a non-standard jewel case and I liked the label name (Sad Robot). Took it home, reviewed it as I washed a mountain of dishes, and fell in love with it. This album is not for everybody. In fact, the only other people I've known who have liked it were DJs with experimental rock shows. The music itself is slow, weird, dissonant, dark and moody, has some strange but compelling sounds and is really great to wash a mess of dishes to at high volume. And as far as experimental rock goes, it's not too obtuse of a listen - there is obvious melody, beat, and pattern throughout. A
fortuitous pick, I count this as one of the jewels of discovery from my time at WSUM.