Thursday: I had some okra and wax beans from the farmer's market, as well as some tomatoes from my parents' garden, that needed to be used up before I went to MN for the weekend. So I fried it all up in some Indian spices and ate with rice. I LOVE okra. I would marry it if I could. It reminds me of being a kid and eating it pickled with my dad. I'm going back to the farmer's market for more this weekend.
Friday: Upon arrival in MN, was treated to a feast by B, L, and T. Amongst the offerings were homemade hummus, baba ganouj and mahamara with pita and veggies, a variety of unusual cheeses, some kind of lentil pilaf, spanakopita, huge chunks of feta, a parsnip stew (usually I hate parsnips but this was yummy) with Israeli couscous, dolmades stuffed in collards instead of grape leaves, lemon mousse, pistachio-white chocolate shortbread, chocolate-ginger banana bread, my okra leftovers and probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment. It was excellent and I stuffed myself silly. Here's B, me and L post-gluttony:

Saturday: B & I shared a late breakfast of huevos rancheros, buckwheat pancakes and coffee at the Seward Café. Six of us went for dinner at Evergreen Taiwanese Restaurant and shared cold, vinegared kelp knots and lotus root, Three Cup Tofu (oh. my. gawd.), Singapore curry noodles, garlic green beans, garlic eggplant, some kind of tofu/red pepper dish and a curry seitan dish. It was amazingly good and I will be going back there whenever I'm in Minneapolis again. Later at the party was lots of cheese (blueberry, horseradish, various bries, 10-yr cheddar and more) and beer, mostly local (WI and MN).
Sunday: Breakfast made for me - TWICE! First J & K invited B and I over for Florentine omelets, hashbrowns, muesli'n'yogurt, tea'n'coffee'n'juice. We weren't even expecting to be fed, it was a nice surprise and I won't see those kids again until Thanksgiving, when el señor B and I will host them for a feast. Then off to T & L's again for sautéed veggies with tofu and eggs, lemon scones, blueberry muffins, various leftovers from Friday night and more coffee.
Monday: Back at home, had a wind-down day all to myself but then decided to invite el señor B over for dinner to use up some more produce getting ready to go bad. A proper southern-midwest spread of corn-on-the-cob, mac'n'cheese with broccoli, more okra, and collard greens from T & L's garden with onions and chorizo. Had blackberry applesauce and cocoa-nut muffins for dessert (B - remind me to give you that muffin recipe along with the bran-jam one)
Tuesday: The gorgeous E invited el señor B and I over for dinner just 'cause she's that sweet. There was a variety of breads with olive oil & balsamic in a little dipping dish just like at the restaurants, some crazy spicy casserole dish that was full of all kinds of unidentifiable veggies but it was good (it had beets in it and normally I despise beets, but I liked this anyway), some yummy white bean mixture with dressing and roasted yams. There were cocoa almonds for dessert and also some beet-apple-pear crisp but I wasn't willing to go that far with the beet thang. Got home and my roomie D had made a white chili. He and J had made a bit of an error with the cayenne measurements (little "t" = teaspoon) so it was very spicy but still very good.
I tried to warn you that this was probably not of interest to anyone but me, but I really wanted to have a record of the incredible eating I've been doing over the last week. I'd been trying to gain a few pounds, perhaps if I'm feeling lucky I'll weigh myself at the gym this week to see if I've made any headway.

2 comments:
gimme muffins, lady!
The food was spectacular, wasn't it? Can't wait for thanksgiving!
arright, send me your snail-mail via e-mail and i'll make up some fancy recipe cards. D is totally gonna stay for T-giving, too! shaping up to be one helluva partay.
Post a Comment