Today is a dreary day. One of those days where even with the blinds open there's not enough light in my room for me to wake up properly. On top of that, lots of thoughts today about relationships and myself and general introspective crap that I probably couldn't
convey accurately if I tried. Also, the great beast PMS is rearing her ugly head, as much as I am loath to admit it. But I was scrolling through my i-pod (yes, yes, fuck you) on the bus per usual this morning and made two serendipitous choices. First, Kickball's 2005 album ABCDEFGHIJKickball. It's spazzy and playful and bright and never fails to make me feel ABCDEFGood. Second, Kylesa's 2006 album Time Will Fuse Its Worth. It's dark and loud and sludgy stoner metal that also never fails to lighten up my mood, which may seem odd to some but there's just such passion in both of these albums that it makes my chest ache at the beauty of it.My roommate and I were having a discussion last night about how little things (like the music one chooses to listen to on the bus into work, say) can totally affect the day you're having. He thought it was sad, maybe even pathetic, that some tiny, insignificant-by-most-people's-standards event made good what had previously been a crappy day for him. I dunno, maybe I'm easy to please. But I think it's the aggregate of all the small good things that make my life what it is: pretty fucking awesome, in general. I've observed that when I've had sad/depressive periods in my life, they've been coincident to times when I quit noticing how the sunlight and shadows fall across my bedroom floor, or how the leaf on a houseplant changes color as it unfurls, or how nice the breeze is on the porch, or how a cheese tastes different when it's straight outta the fridge versus sitting on the plate for an hour. I don't know if the mood causes the inattentiveness, or if it's the other way around, but there's a relationship there, for sure. Life lesson: pay attention to the beautiful.
