Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm thinking something smart but I'm saying something stupid*

I had a seriously great morning on Thursday.

It began very early (at least for me). My alarm began its extended assault around 6:00am, and at 6:43am - knowing that I had to leave the house at precisely 7:00am in order to catch the bus to yoga - I rolled outta bed. As I peeled off my nightshirt, I noticed that I'd left behind a good portion of the skin on my back, being that the new tattoo had begun the Big Peel. That was kind of gross, but also cool, so I set it aside to show off to el señor B later. Then I got dressed, stuffed a boysenberry jam-filled bran muffin and half a cup of cold, leftover coffee down my gullet and ran out the door at 7:02am. Knowing I was late, I half-ran down the slippery sidewalks to the bus stop, where I would have missed the bus had I left the house 30 seconds later. Small victories, kids, small victories.

Sat down on the bus, all out of breath and still half-asleep. I opted for the Small Knives album "Rain on Tin" for the first selection on my mp3-player. I first discovered this band when the album came out and I reviewed it for me & el señor B's radio show. It's clean, simple, plain Americana folk/rock stuff, lapsteel and all. Only they're not American - story to follow another time. Anyway, it was just what I was in the mood for. Even though I was barely awake, I decided to try my hand at some killer sudoku.

Now. The killer sudoku is my newest math puzzle obsession. I bought this little book in the airport on my way to Puerto Rico. These were the puzzles I was doing on the beach. The puzzles are all rated by how much they make your pencil sweat - they each have these little pencil icons next to them, with no sweat droplets (easy) or up to 4 sweat droplets (deadly). I have twice previously attempted a "deadly" killer sudoku, only to find myself stumped with nary a box filled out. But this bleary-eyed morning I found an opening. In fact, I had a logical revelation - I figured out a new-to-me bit of logic I could use to open up these mean puzzles. As I was engrossed in my first semi-successful attempt of a "deadly" killer sudoku, the music stopped and I made my second fortuitous audiophilic choice: My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless". Definitely in my top-20 complete albums of all time, and a great way to get ready for the first PowerFlow class of the semester.

PowerFlow went well, it was A - one of my and el señor B's favorite instructors - at the helm and class was crowded. First 2 weeks there's 40 people in class. By the end of the semester it's just me, el señor, and maybe 3 other people. The class was easier than usual, I guess A didn't want to scare people away just yet, and I was relieved because after 1.5 months of no yoga, easy was more than enough.

On the ~5 block walk to the student union for coffee & a biscuit, I thought my face was going to freeze and fall off. But it didn't (small victories). At the union I'd anticipated ordering the inferior grill coffee when I got my egg & cheese biscuit - for convenience, really. However, there was a line at the grill and so I headed over to the QuickByte instead, which was a good save because their brew of the day was mighty tasty indeed. I re-entered the grill line, coffee in hand, and decided that I deserved the 2 eggs + biscuits and gravy special because why the fuck not is why. It was very tasty. I loves me some biscuits and sausage gravy. As I polished those off, I completed my first ever "deadly" killer sudoku! Woot! And still made it to the office earlier than normal.

A good morning indeed.

*"The Line" - Small Knives

1 comment:

J.B. said...

I will check out this "small knives" you speak of. I am jealousy over your biscuits an gravy. I am sucking weight for pan-ams, and there'll be no biscuits nor gravy for me till April.
(sad panda)
That is all for now.
Carry on.