Yesterday my dad and I biked just a few miles down the MKT (I'd say just 5 miles total). It probably took us over 30 minutes because we were riding pretty chill, taking breaks to look at the creeks and ponds, and even though the trail is nice, my bike was meant for pavement. Then we headed to Walt's Bikes to get him a new bike seat, helmet and gloves. His old bike seat was HARD and making his bum sore. He's hoping to get back into biking for exercise and stress relief. He used to bike a bit about 10 years back. Glad we checked out the trail - it's really close to his work and he could easily pop on and off for a nice 30 min ride after work. The streets in our own neighborhood are not so bike-friendly. I like hanging out with my dad, although there are certain topics we have to steer clear of. Anything political is strictly off-limits, but (suprisingly, to me) we have no trouble talking nicely about religion/philosophical beliefs. Especially over a good stout or porter. And we can just not talk at all and that's nice too.
My mom is simpler to hang out within some ways, since we agree on a lot of things. But man can she talk - I get that from her but not nearly at the same magnitude. It's funny, because neither of us really liked the other as I was growing up, and I was definitely a daddy's girl. It's good to get along finally. The plan is for us to do some crafting/gardening stuff on Thursday and probably head downtown for lunch and maybe some light shopping. It's always a nice time.
I feel blessed to have a good relationship with both of my parents. They don't approve of all of my decisions, but they respect them anyway. They are mighty good parents, and not just to me and my sisters. They'll take in just about anybody who needs some family support. Several boyfriends, current and ex, have been enveloped into the Cadwell clan, as well as the odd friend from high school. I'm glad that they really like el senor B. As my mumsie says, "he's a keeper". They never did quite take to the last one - they tried to include him but he just never felt comfortable in our family I don't think. Oh well, his loss.
Well, time for lunch, and then I'm going to make dinner tonight. Nothing fancy, just grilled cheese and assorted veggies.

3 comments:
Awww, sounds comfortable and a little idyllic. Enjoy, my dear. We have a summer of crazy fun to embark on when you return.
What a happy post Katie! I love families:)
Yeah, I figure if I can't angsty-blog then I'm going to start holy-shit-my-life-is-awesome blogging.
Now I just need to manage to get some pictures off of my camera. Why is that so hard for me?
Post a Comment